Sunday, June 7, 2009

A thrifty weekend

On Saturday I hit some yards sales with my sister and found this.






A king sized quilt top. I was debating if I should get in or not. (I know, like it was a hard decision) I actually left the yard sale and was half way down the street when I told my sister, "I have to have that quilt top" so with two toddlers we made a mad dash back to get my quilt top. Later, when I was looking over all my finds, I realized that the entire top had been hand sewn. I sure am glad that I when back to get this top.




I totally love it. I can't stop looking at it or touching it, and there are some awesome fabrics in it. It just reminds me of simpler times when you sewed with what you had. It even has polyester bits in it.

*It does have a stain on it. Does anyone know what might get it out?




Now on to Sunday: I had an off day today. I don't know it was but I was in a horrible mood. I just felt tried and cranky from the moment I woke up. And I was super emotional. You would have thought that I had a newborn in the house I was crying so much today.

Well the husband decided that he would cheer me up.



Yep, ice cream and shopping money, complete with clear instructions to leave the house. The first stop was Goodwill when I found this.





A vintage king sized sheet. This is going to be the backing for the quilt top. The grand total for my quilt top and backing...$9. It was a thrifty weekend.

~Maranda


5 comments:

  1. what a great husband...it is good when they know what will make us feel better. And i must say that vintage sheet find and that amazing quilt would make me feel better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i wish i got icecream and money!! the quilt looks ace!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay for you! This past Saturday was THE day for yard sales & community sales - seriously! LOVE the quilt top you found - and the vintage sheet for the backing - its going to be awesome! And I had a blizzard kind of day last Tuesday - my co-worker went out to get me a blizzard - and it totally helped :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the quilt top...and the sheet is going to be a SUPER thrifty backing. (what a great idea! I really want to make a quilt for my toddler's bed, but I was GAGGING on the idea of plunking down so much money...on a project I don't even know how to properly DO.)

    As for the stain - I've had EXCELLENT luck with soaking things in a mix of 1 scoop of OxyClean and several gallons of water. It gets out everything - newborn poo, chocolate (even after it's gone through the dryer) and even (yes, gross) baby spit up that had been accidentally left un-washed on the (20 year old) christening gown my daughter used. Soak it overnight, and then wash as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow did you make out like a bandit! And what a great husband you have. What is better than being TOLD to go shopping, given the $$, and an ice-cream to boot? That man is a gem.

    ReplyDelete